Saturday, November 3, 2012

Perforated Ribbing

Discoveries and Opinions of Galileo
The Assayer
page 237

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

I have never claimed (as Lathario Sarsi pretends) that my opinion was certain to be swiftly carried by the winds to Rome.  That usually happens only with the words of great and celebrated me, which really far exceeds the bounds of my ambition.  It is true, though, that in reading Sarsi's book I have wondered that what I said never did reach Sarsi's ears.  Is it not astonishing that so many things have been reported to him which I never said, nor even thought, while not a single syllable reached him of other things that I have said over and over again?

But perhaps the wings that blow the clouds and those chimeras and monsters that tumultuously take shape in them had not the strength to carry solid and weighty things.

.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .




No comments:

Post a Comment