Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Wedding Ring


"Where to Mam?" 
"Figuero, Figuero and Temple"
"Yes, Mam"
"Edie's Bar, indian territory"
"Delorca's territory too Mam"
"The Family owned almost all that section in the old days, but that's the way it goes with the old families bit by bit they sell off the land, but I never would of thought I'd see the last of the Delorca's to the grave-that I didn't, and me with seven grandchildren, all boys"
"And his only son died"
"Mam?"
"I said Mr. Delorca's only son died"
"Mam there's been no child born or died in the Delorca family boy or girl that I know of"
"Huh, course that was twenty years ago"
"Twenty years ago Mam? It's been forty years or more I've been driving the Delorca family, if they'd had a child I'd a known about it"
"They never had a child, a boy, when they were first married?"
"They certainly did not Mam"
"Well perhaps they were away, when it happened"
"No, Mam that first year, the first 2 or 3 years, after they were married as I remember well, they never left here, Mr. Delorca said he's shifted around enough in the service to last him quite a while"
"Thank you very much."
"Your welcome Mam."
Dead Ringer 1964
November 12

No comments:

Post a Comment