Friday, September 19, 2014

Mill Wheel

My Dyet

Now by my love, the greatest oath that is,
None loves you half so well as I:
I do not ask your love for this,
But for heave'ns sake believe me or I dye.
No servant e're but did deserve
His master should believe that he does serve;
And I'll ask no more wages, though I starve.

'Tis no luxurious diet this, and sure
I shall not by't too lusty prove;
Yet shall it willing endure,
If't can but keep together life and love.
Being your priso'ner and your slave,
I do not feasts and banquets look to have,
A little bread and water's all I crave. 
O'n a sigh of pity I a year can live,
One tear will keep me twenty at least,
Fifty a gentle look will give;
An hundred years on one kind word I'll feast;
If you an inclination have for me;
And all beyond is vast eternity.





Resolved To be Beloved
'Tis true I'have lov'd already three or four,
And shall three or four hundred more;
I'll love each fair one that I see,
'Till I find one at last that shall love me.

That shall  y Canaan be, the fatal soil,
That ends my wandrings and my toil.
Till settle there and happy grow;
The country does with milk and honey flow.

The needle trembles so and turns about,
Till it the northern point find out;
But constant then and fit does prove,
Fixt, that his dearest pole as soon may move.

Then may my vessel torn and shipwrackt be,
If it put forth again to sea;
It never more abroad shall rome,
Though't could next voyage bring the Indies home.

But I must sweat in love and labour yet,
Till I a competency get.
They're slothful fools who leave a trade,
Till they a moderate fortune by't have made.

Variety I ask not; give me one
To live perpetually upon.
The person love to us does fit,
Like manna has the tast of all in it.

Abraham Cowley

No comments:

Post a Comment