Friday, October 12, 2012

Did you read ahead?

'As You Like It'
William Shakespeare
Act 3 Scene 2
page 46

Celia   You must borrow me Gargantua's mouth first: 'tis a word too great for any mouth of this age's size. To say ay and no to these particulars is more than to answer in a catechism.
Rosalind   But doth he know that I am in this forest (Arder's forest) and in man's apparel? Looks he as freshly as he did the day he wrestled?
Celia   It is a s easy to count atomies as to resolve the propositions of a lover. But take a taste of my finding him and relish it with good observance: I found him under a tress, like a dropped acorn--
Rosalind   It may well be called Jove's tree, when it drops forth fruit.
Celia   Give me audience, good madam.
Rosalind   Proceed.
Celia   There lay he, stretched along like a wounded knight--
Rosalind   Though it be pity to see such a sight, it well becomes the ground.
Cellia   Cry "holla" to the tongue, I prithee; it curvets unseasonably. He was furnished like a hunter--
Rosalind Oh, ominous: he comes to kill my heart!
Celia   I would sing my song without a burden. Thou bring'st me out of tune.
Rosalind  Do you not know I am a woman? When I think I must speak. Sweet, say on.
Enter Orlando and Jaques.




No comments:

Post a Comment