Monday, October 22, 2012

Half Brioche Stitch




'As You Like It'
William Shakespeare

Montanus' first Sonnet

Alas! how wander I amidst these woods
Whereas no day-bright shine doth find access;
But where the melancholy fleeting floods,
Dark as the night, my night of woes express.
Disarmed of reason, spoiled of nature's goods,
Without redress to salve my heaviness
I walk, whilst thought too creul to my harms,
With endless greif my heedless judgement charms.

My silent tongue assailed by secret fear,
My traitorous eyes imprisoned in their joy,
My fatal peace devoured in feigned cheer,
My heart enforced to harbour in annoy,
My reason robbed of power by yielding ear,
My fond opinions slave to every toy.
O Love! thou guide in my uncertain way,
Woe to thy bow, thy fire, the cause of my decay.
     Et florida pungunt.

Montanus' second Sonnet

   When the Dog
   Full of rage,
   With hir ireful eyes
   Frowns amidst the skies,
The shepherd, to assuage
   The fury of the heat,
   Himself doth safely seat
By a fount
Full of fair,
   Where a gentle breath,
   Mounting from beneath,
Tempereth the air.
There his flocks,
Drink their fill,
   And with ease repose,
   Whilst sweet sleep doth close
Eyes from toilsome ill.
But I burn
Without rest,
   No defensive power
   Shields from Phoebe's lour;
Sorrow is my best.
Gentle love,
Lour no more;
   If thou wilt invade
   In the secret shade,
Labour not so sore.
I myself
And my flocks,
   They their love to please,
   I myself to ease,
Both leave the shady oaks;
   Content to burn in fire,
   Sith Love doth so desire.
                       Et florida pungunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment